Every now and then a question shows up that captures attention as if it was lit up in flashing lights. This happened to me the other morning as I pulled my usual three tarot cards from the Legacy of the Divine deck (my favourite) to help me imagine what the story of my day could be like. One of the cards I pulled was the 5 of cups. Not necessarily a favourite, I decided to open the interpretation book to see what jumped out at me.
Why do you sometimes cradle your sadness like treasured possessions? Are you afraid that the power of your heart will shatter it and force you to leave the safety of the shadowy misery you cling to?
Sadness as a treasured possession? Shadowy misery? Crap! And wham! Both at the same time.
The journey of life has a way of dishing up illusion so we imagine we are in a different place than we are. It also has a way of waking us up to reality. Like these questions.
I feel the tremulousness of these moments in my life. Partner I love deeply who lives in another country. Re-imagining our work and our businesses. Feeling the pull of life, co-parenting, scheduling. Desiring ease and not always experiencing it. Am I cradling sadness as a treasured possession? Is it part of how I define my story? It is not what I want to hear, to believe is true in this moment but there it is right in front of me.
Am I clinging to shadowy misery? Am I allowing this to define and shape the story of my life in this present moment?
What to do about it?
- Allow the recognition of the response evoked by the questions. Yes, there is truth there. Still. After many years of journey.
- Invoke compassion for myself. It is a journey. It is not right or wrong or too long. No self-recrimination, just awareness.
- Journal to surface and release the patterns so deeply entrenched in my being that sometimes I fear they will never be fully released and most times now I can recognize as part of the unfolding journey – the journey to openheartedness.
- Meditate on the vibration I am aspiring to, to let it permeate my physical and soul essence to continue to attract my dreams.
- Take concrete steps, even if small, to show – myself, creator, the universe – that the dream I hold is the direction in which I am moving.
I share this because I know I am not the only one cradling sadness and clinging to shadowy misery. If this resonates, know you are not alone and follow the steps.